Social Security Advocates Deplore AARP Decision To Put Social Security On Chopping Block
Brian Beutler | June 17, 2011, 1:47PM
An article in Friday’s Wall Street Journal has Social Security advocates angry and scratching their heads. It suggests that AARP — one of the most powerful interest groups in Washington — has done an about face on the question of cutting retirement benefits for seniors as part of a grand bipartisan bargain on shoring up the programs finances.
The change in posture, agreed to by AARP’s board, has already sent shock waves through the Beltway’s large and influential entitlement reform community. It’s prompted calls from lawmakers and centrist and conservative groups for Congress to seize the initiative and agree to cut benefits. It’s mobilized Social Security’s strongest advocates against AARP, and it’s prompted AARP to initiate a partial walk back — a statement calling the story “misleading, but reiterating that the group could support Social Security reforms if they don’t cause future retirees too much pain.
“It has also been a long held position that any changes would be phased in slowly, over time, and would not affect any current or near term beneficiaries,” says AARP CEO A. Barry Rand — in other words, the group could support some cuts, so long as they only impact people many years away from retirement.
3 Comments to “Who’s holding the line on Social Security? Not Obama—or the AARP”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.