I strongly recommend Dr. David Ansell’s new book, County: Life, Death and Politics at Chicago’s Public Hospital.
Full disclosure: Academy Chicago, the book’s publisher, is my parents’ company. (They’ve also done What Went Wrong in Ohio, a/k/a the Conyers Report, and The Complete Transcripts of the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill Hearings.)
Dr. Ansell will be speaking at the McNally Jackson Bookstore on July 12 at 7:00 p.m.
‘Life, Death And Politics’ Treating Chicago’s Uninsured
June 15, 2011
The first time Dr. David Ansell went into the men’s room at Cook County Hospital in Chicago, he immediately ran out. “It was so bad, I couldn’t use it,” he says. “I ran across the street and had to use the bathroom there. It was quite an introduction to my first day at County.”
Ansell is now the vice president for clinical affairs and chief medical officer at Rush University Medical Center. But he began his medical career in 1978 at County, Chicago’s public hospital, where he worked as an attending physician for almost two decades. His social history of the hospital, County: Life, Death and Politics at Chicago’s Public Hospital, details his own time on the wards — and examines health care in America from the perspective of the uninsured.
Working at County, Ansell says, made him realize just how much the current payment system drives health care inequalities. “There’s a misunderstanding that if you just go to the [emergency room], that’s health care,” he says. “It’s not. … And I don’t think the public or politicians really understand that. I think the last health reform attempt which is being bandied about — we don’t know what’s going to happen — is likely to fall short with regards to equity.”
One Comment to “What is healthcare in America? A huge apartheid system (Dr. David Ansell on the lessons of Cook County Hospital)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.