Holes Big Enough
for an Election
to Fall Into
…and why New Yorkers should care
The State of Wisconsin has just completed a statewide recount of a highly suspicious election, a recount that provides truckloads of additional evidence of the dangers of secret vote counting inside computers. Because Wisconsin uses optical scanners to count most votes just as NY now does, this election provides a lesson for us in the near impossibility of meaningful citizen oversight of an electronic election, even when paper ballots are used.
The April 5 Supreme Court election in WI was widely seen as a referendum on the policies of Governor Scott Walker, including the attempted stripping of collective bargaining rights for public workers. The state’s attention was on this vote to fill a 10-year seat on the state’s highest court.
Most of the attention in this WI Supreme Court election recount was focused on Waukesha County, where County Clerk (chief county election official) Kathy Nickolaus had reported the discovery of some 14,000 votes on her office computer two days after the election, reversing the statewide outcome in favor of her former boss, incumbent Justice David Prosser.
2 Comments to “What happened with that “recount” in Wisconsin could easily happen in New York”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.