Redistricting key to future of Weiner’s House seat
DAVID B. CARUSO, Associated Press
Updated 11:34 a.m., Friday, June 17, 2011
NEW YORK (AP) — With U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner’s humiliating exit from office, New York is likely to hold a special election sometime in the next few months to pick his successor, but voters probably shouldn’t expect a bruising public contest over the right to go to Washington. The job might not even exist in 19 months.
Because of population shifts, New York state is slated to lose two House seats in 2013, and lawmakers in Albany will spend the next few years redrawing the boundaries of congressional districts in a highly politicized process that could, in theory, wipe Weiner’s old territory in Queens and Brooklyn from the map.
Traditionally, lawmakers looking to butcher a district have turned to ones where there is no incumbent, or one with little seniority. That would seem to put the 9th Congressional District at risk for elimination, or at least a bigger overhaul of its borders than other districts in the state.
2 Comments to “Weiner’s exit may mean no more 9th Congressional district. Did the Democrats consider that?”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- t r u t h o u t
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.