The United Arab Emirates is a very scary place for anyone who dares to talk about democracy; and yet the US media never mentions it. Even Bahrain gets more “ink” (as we used to say) than Abu Dhabi and its satellites.
Note how AP (below) softens the picture.
MCMTrial of Emirati bloggers starts in Abu Dhabi
In a closed-door trial, Emirati bloggers facing jail on charges of endangering UAE security plead not guilty
Abu Dhabi: The trial of a group of Emirati bloggers, facing prison terms on charges of endangering the UAE’s security and undermining the public order, started in Abu Dhabi behind closed doors.
The defendants pleaded not guilty to all the charges, said their lawyer, Abdul Hamid Al Kumaiti.
He added the defence also asked the court presided over by Chief Justice Shihab Abdul Rahman Al Hammadi, to stop publishing reports about the trial to ensure no pressure is exercised on the court.
Trial opens for pro-reform activists in Emirates
(AP) – 14 hours ago
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Court officials say five activists have gone on trial on security-related charges as part of a crackdown on political dissent in the United Arab Emirates.
The closed-door proceedings Tuesday in Abu Dhabi’s Federal Supreme Court comes after international watchdog groups, including human rights groups, criticized the arrests.
The UAE has not faced street protests inspired by the Arab uprisings, but authorities have moved aggressively to silence pro-reform advocates. Among the five arrested are a prominent blogger and a frequent lecturer at the Abu Dhabi branch of Paris’ Sorbonne university.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- The Ostroy Report
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.