Blogger’s shout starts argument on Nicollet Mall
Updated: June 20, 2011 – 10:52 PM
St. Paul attorney held in jail overnight after confrontation with Muslim women.
Conservative blogger and St. Paul attorney John H. Gilmore spent a night in jail last week after a sidewalk confrontation on Nicollet Mall with two women wearing traditional Muslim dress.
According to police reports, Gilmore, 52, called out the name of a well-known critic of Islam, author Ayaan Hirsi Ali, to the women as they crossed paths on the sidewalk near the Dakota Jazz Bar and Restaurant Thursday night.
“He just shouted it out,” said Anwar Hijaz, a Muslim woman who wears a hijab, the Muslim head scarf. Hundreds of progressive bloggers happened to be on Nicollet Mall that evening after attending the first day of a four-day conference known as Netroots Nation.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.