Orrin Hatch Tacks Anti-Abortion Amendment Onto Korean Trade Deal
First Posted: 06/30/11 12:37 PM ET Updated: 06/30/11 12:54 PM ET
WASHINGTON–Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) attached an amendment to the U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement on Thursday that would ban any organizations that provide abortions, including hospitals, from receiving Medicaid family planning funds — even if those abortions are to save a woman’s life.
The Senate Finance Committee will consider the amendment Thursday afternoon as they begin action on the South Korea pact, despite the fact that there is no connection between the two issues.
“Clearly abortion has absolutely nothing to do with U.S-South Korea trade,” Donna Crane, policy director for NARAL Pro-Choice America, told HuffPost. “It’s completely insane — he’s looking to bring down trade bills for abortion politics, and frankly for his own politics.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.