June 20, 2011 Volume 18, No. 10
Offshoring Has Destroyed The U.S. Economy: Nobel Economist Michael Spence Says Globalization Is Costly For Americans
By Paul Craig Roberts
These are discouraging times, but once in a blue moon a bit of hope appears. I am pleased to report on the bit of hope delivered in March of 2011 by Michael Spence, a Nobel prize-winning economist, assisted by Sandile Hlatshwayo, a researcher at New York University. The two economists have taken a careful empirical look at jobs offshoring and concluded that it has ruined the income and employment prospects for most Americans.
To add to the amazement, their research report, “The Evolving Structure of the American Economy and the Employment Challenge,” was published by the very establishment Council on Foreign Relations (http://www.cfr.org/ industrial-policy/evolving-structure-american-economy-employment-challenge/p24366).
For a decade I have warned that U.S. corporations, pressed by Wall Street and large retailers such as Wal-Mart, to move offshore their production for U.S. consumer markets, were simultaneously moving offshore U.S. GDP, U.S. tax base, U.S. consumer income, and irreplaceable career opportunities for American citizens.
2 Comments to “Off-shoring has destroyed US economy, says Nobel winner Michael Spence”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Media Channel
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Early America
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.