WikiLeaks: Pentagon Papers Injustice Deja Vu
by James C. Goodale
As we mark the 40th anniversary of the Pentagon Papers’ publication, the Obama administration is doggedly trying to charge Julian Assange and WikiLeaks with conspiracy to commit espionage. Now, as then, it amounts to a misguided effort to criminalize journalism—and should fail, says James C. Goodale.
Just in time to spoil the celebration of the 40th anniversary of the publication of the Pentagon Papers, the Obama Justice Department is trying to do what Richard Nixon couldn’t: indict a media organization.
A grand jury investigation into WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange under the Espionage Act and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act is under way in Alexandria, Virginia. The Justice Department has already subpoenaed the electronic records of many former WikiLeaks volunteers and at least three people have now been subpoenaed to testify in a case that could potentially criminalize forms of investigative journalism.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- On MH17, some theories that make sense (unlike the shrill crapola we keep hearing)
- CIA admits spying on Senate staffers
- Project Censored 2015 now available for pre-ordering!
- Britain’s Greens say NO to inequality
- Let the beavers save us—and the planet—from ourselves (2)
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Lest we forget: US shot down a civilian airliner, killing 290 people; then lied about it (and never apologized)
- FL cop forces drunk man to move his car, then shoots him dead when he bumps into other cars
- URGENT! Don and Lori Siegelman need your help!
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.