Dear New York City MoveOn member,
When it comes to public schools, do you think New York City spend too much money, or not enough?
Pretty easy question, right? Not for the mayor and city council.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg has proposed cutting over $300 million from New York City public schools and removing 6,000 teachers. This would mean cuts to all schools and would lead to the sharpest rises in class size in over thirty years.
Arts, music, performing arts, physical education, career and technical education, libraries, and intervention services would also be hard-hit. The mayor’s budget represents a major step backwards in New York’s commitment to quality education and is morally unconscionable.
That’s why I created a petition to Mayor Bloomberg and the New York City Council, which says:
“We are calling on Mayor Bloomberg and the City Council to invest in school improvement, not cut programs, increase class sizes, or take teachers out of the classroom.”
Will you sign the petition? Click here to add your name, and then pass it along to your friends:
–Harrison Watkins, Alliance for Quality Education
The text above was written by Harrison Watkins, not by MoveOn staff, and MoveOn is not responsible for the content. This email was sent through MoveOn’s secure system, and your information has been kept private.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.