Yesterday, we posted a hot piece from the Nation, Pakistan’s big daily, making several startling claims about the situation at the nuclear plant in Ft. Calhoun, Nebraska—that there was a full meltdown there, and that Obama had ordered a news blackout on the story; and more. (The post was titled “Obama has ordered “total and complete” news blackout on crippled nuke plant in Nebraska”.)
Since then, it’s come to my attention that that piece is bogus—apparently some kind of hoax. So we took it down this morning.
Let me add that there HAS clearly been a blackout on the news re: that ongoing disaster, whether Obama personally ordered it or not. So far there hasn’t been a lick of mainstream coverage in the US or in Canada (although a local TV station did report a bid by some Nebraska bureaucrat to “dispel the rumors”).
So we’ll just keep trying to keep track of it ourselves.
Apologies to anyone who got that phony story from NFU.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Massive protest fails to halt tuition hikes at UC
- TPP will let corporations rule the world—and so the corporate press has blacked it out…
- Cult-like corporation takes a shot at freedom of the press
- UK students offer model for the world, by marching for “free education”
- Testing for Ebola in a New York minute!
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- US news blackout on Ebola death in Brooklyn?
- US votes AGAINST resolution condemning the glorification of Nazism
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.