Here’s a brilliant letter from Jonathan Simon to the editors of The New York Review of Books, responding to George Soros’s essay, “My Philanthropy,” which ran in the 5/23 issue.
Soros, like my friends George Lakoff and Tom Frank, and many other very smart people, thinks that the GOP keeps winning at the polls because the party is so good at propaganda—which is to say that they (my friends et al.) think that the GOP keeps really winning at the polls.
In other words, they cannot wrap their minds around the notion that the GOP has “won” time after time through vote suppression and election fraud. This ought to be regarded as great news, since it suggests that people maybe aren’t so stupid after all (even in Kansas). And yet George Soros and my friends, and many others, just can’t go there.
This is the theme of Jonathan’s terrific letter (which the New York Review will probably not run, since they don’t want to go there, either).
2 Comments to “Why does the GOP keep “winning”? Because of their superior propaganda? George Soros seems to think so (& he’s not the only one)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.