Lawmakers back off contentious labor union bill
By Kevin Miller, BDN Staff
Posted June 06, 2011
AUGUSTA, Maine — Republican leaders agreed Monday to shelve for the year a contentious labor bill that riled
Maine’s unions and heightened tensions with Democrats in the final days of the legislative session.
Members of a legislative committee voted to postpone action on a controversial “right-to-work” bill, LD 309,
that could have stripped public sector unions of their ability to collect service fees from state employees
who opt out of joining the union.
The vote came four days after hundreds of union members crowded the halls of the State House to protest the bill and less than two weeks after GOP leaders surprised many by reviving a controversial measure that
many assumed was dead for the year.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.