—— Forwarded Message
From: john pilger
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:46:03 +0100 (BST)
Subject: LANNAN FOUNDATION BANS ‘THE WAR YOU DON’T SEE’ AND CANCELS JOHN PILGER
I am writing you and a number of other friends mostly in the US to alert you to the extraordinary banning of my film on war and media, ‘The War You Don’t See’, and the abrupt cancellation of a major event at the Lannan Foundation in Santa Fe in which David Barsamian and I were to discuss free speech, US foreign policy and censorship in the media.
Lannan invited me and David over a year ago and welcomed my proposal that they also host the US premiere of ‘The War You Don’t See’, in which US and British broadcasters describe the often hidden part played by the media in the promotion of war, notably in Iraq and Afghanistan. The film has been widely acclaimed in the UK and Australia; the trailer and reviews are on my website johnpilger.com.
The banning and cancellation, which have shocked David and me, are on the personal orders of Patrick Lannan, whose wealth funds the Lannan Foundation as a liberal centre of discussion of politics and the arts. Some of you will have been there and will know the Lannan Foundation as a valuable supporter of liberal causes. Indeed, I was invited in 2002 to present a Lannan award to the broadcaster Amy Goodman.
What is deeply disturbing about the ban is that it happened so suddenly and inexplicably: 48 hours before David Barsamian and I were both due to depart for Santa Fe I received a brief email with a ‘sorry for the inconvenience’ from a Lannan official who had been telling me just a few days earlier what a ‘great honour’ it was to have the US premiere of my film at Lannan, with myself in attendance.
I urge you to visit the Lannan website lannan.org. Good people like Michael Ratner, Jeremy Scahill and Glenn Greenwald are shown as participants in discussion about freedom of speech. I am there, too, but my name is the only one with a line through it with the word, ‘Cancelled’.
Neither David Barsamian nor I have been given a word of explanation. All my messages to Lannan have gone unanswered; my calls calls are not returned; my flights were cancelled summarily. At the urging of the New Mexican newspaper, Patrick Lannan has issued a one-sentence statement offering his regrets to the Lannan-supporting ‘community’ in Santa Fe. Again, he gives no reason for the ban.
There is a compelling symbol of our extraordinary times in all of this. A rich and powerful individual and organisation, espousing freedom of speech, has moved ruthlessly and unaccountably to crush it.
With warm regards
I spoke to the manager of the Santa Fe cinea where ‘The War You Don’t See’ was to be screened. He received a late-night call. Again, no reason. He had hours to cancel the advertising in The New Mexican.
4 Comments to “Lannan Foundation abruptly bans, and cancels the US premiere of, John Pilger’s film “The War You Don’t See” (which, therefore, you won’t see)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- NYU reneges on its loud promises to pay the migrant workers who built its Abu Dhabi campus
- Why did Bernie pull his punches?
- OOPS! Victim testimonies in UK child sex abuse inquiry ALL DELETED (quite by accident, of course)
- “Untold number of civilians” slaughtered by Obama’s (airborne) Murder, Inc.
- To censor a live feed of the debate, CNN shuts down @Bernie2016tv
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- US forced Iraqis to buy seeds from Monsanto—and now we're ALL under the gun! (2)
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.