The “Vindication” of Andrew Breitbart
by John Wellington Ennis
Jon Stewart called it “the weirdest f*cking story I’ve seen in my life.” It was the live broadcast of Rep. Anthony Weiner’s confessional press conference, and yet here was Andrew Breitbart, taking a victory lap around the mainstream press for not being wrong about a story for once. (At the same time, Breitbart not being wrong on a story almost deserves live breaking coverage.)
Breitbart demanded to be vindicated after being doubted about the legitimacy of his penis photos. To some, this would seem a more apt vindication of a pornographer. To behold Breitbart’s beaming pride, you’d think he’d broken the truth that cigarettes cause cancer, stunning the naysayers. He gloated: “The media says, ‘Breitbart lies, Breitbart lies.’ Give me one example of a provable lie,” Breitbart said on stage at the Weiner presser. “One, journalist, one, put your reputation on the line here, one provable lie.” (Interesting word choice, “provable,” it offers garish wiggle room.)
Why didn’t any of the press respond? Is that silence supposed to confer tacit legitimization and absolution of his past distortions? Since the journalists present didn’t even show up for a Breitbart news conference in the first place, they were probably not prepared to review his greatest hits and misses. What’s more, the attending media professionals may have thought that interrupting someone else’s press conference is pretty, well, rude, not to mention unprofessional.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.