Will Clarence Thomas Recuse Himself on Health Care Reform?
— By Stephanie Mencimer | Tue May. 31, 2011 8:11 AM PDT
Following a time-honored Washington tradition of dumping required but embarrassing information on a Friday night before a major holiday, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas finally released the details of his wife’s income from her year or so working for the tea party group Liberty Central, which fought President Obama’s health care reform law. His new financial disclosure form indicates that his wife, Virginia, who served as Liberty Central’s president and CEO, received $150,000 in salary from the group and less than $15,000 in payments from an anti-health care lobbying firm she started.
The disclosure was apparently prompted in part by Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.), who had been needling Thomas (including on Twitter) for months to disclose how much money his wife earned from Liberty Central. That’s because challenges to Obama’s health care reform law are likely to end up before the Supreme Court sooner rather than later, and if Thomas and his wife benefited from her income working against the bill, the justice has an enormous conflict of interest in hearing any legal challenge. Thomas had failed to disclose Virginia’s income on his financial disclosure forms for 20 years; under pressure from Weiner and others, he had recently amended old disclosures to reflect hundreds of thousands of dollars she had earned working for the Heritage Foundation, the conservative think tank that also opposed Obama’s health care plan.
But, up until now, Thomas had not revealed how much money his wife made from hercontroversial Liberty Central work. When Virginia Thomas decided to take a high-profile role in the organization, she was immediately criticized because of the potential that her job might compromise her husband’s independence on the bench. Eventually, she was forced to step down (a move also apparently prompted by her bizarre October phone call to Anita Hill, the woman who’d accused her husband of sexual harassment during his confirmation hearing). When she left the organization, she created a new consulting firm, Liberty Consulting, which also did anti-health care reform lobbying. Justice Thomas finally released the details of her compensation Friday night, but the disclosure, and Weiner’s triumphant press release announcing the move, were largely overshadowed by Weinergate.
One Comment to “Did Breitbart’s hackers try to help out Clarence Thomas?”
CONSPIRACY THEORY IN AMERICA
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dubai jails a US citizen for posting a comedy video to YouTube #freeshez
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP!
- US labor force declined by 25,000, despite 2.4 million RISE in employable Americans
- Outraged by fracking, hundreds storm a Chevron site in Romania
- Texas earthquakes linked to fracking
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Robin Roland on Score one (at last) for the Election Integrity movement!
- Julie on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- CIA's contra/cocaine scheme was a REAL conspiracy, not a "theory"
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren's petition to halt "fast track" of TPP!
- Visa quits ALEC
- Clear Channel to shut down leftwing talk stations in LA, SF
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.