Ruling restricts campaign probe
Judge: Secretary of state can’t force nonresidents to testify on finances
Thursday, June 9, 2011 03:08 AM
BY JOE VARDON
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
Secretary of State Jon Husted no longer may issue subpoenas outside Ohio, nor can he compel out-of-state residents who already had been called by his predecessor to testify in the investigation of LetOhioVote.org.
U.S. District Court Judge George C. Smith ruled yesterday that Ohio’s secretary of state does not have the authority to issue subpoenas beyond the state line when investigating potential campaign-finance violations.
Smith’s ruling grants relief sought by New Models, a mysterious Virginia nonprofit group that has not disclosed its donors and gave $1.55 million to LetOhioVote.org in 2009. The ruling also grants relief to two Virginia men: Norm Cummings, a Republican operative tied to both LetOhioVote.org and to former Ohio Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell, also a Republican, and New Models President Tim Crawford.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.