June 16, 2011
Clarence Thomas Can Breathe a Sigh of Relief at Weiner Downfall
By earl ofari hutchinson
Every Democrat from the White House down screamed loudly for New York Representative Anthony Weiner to resign, and he finally did. But it’s not a Democrat that’s breathing the biggest sigh of relief at Weiner’s downfall. It’s Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. There was much talk a year ago that Weiner would be the pointman on the House Judiciary Committee if it decided to go after Thomas for his long trail of financial manipulations, abuse, and duplicity. Weiner gave some hope that he’d be the go-to guy against Thomas because he had been hammering him publicly for his dealings and demanding that he recuse himself from any high court deliberations and ruling on the constitutionality of the health care reform law that conservatives loathe.
Weiner certainly had a lot of ammunition to make Thomas’s misdoings a prima facie legal and political embarrassment for the GOP. This stemmed from Thomas’s wife Ginni’s mini-king’s ransom earnings, which she received from assorted right-wing foundations and think tanks. The Heritage Foundation was a prominent funder of Ginni Thomas, as were the ultraconservative Koch brothers, the Coors family and Richard Mellon Scaife, all of whom have a major interest in any number of Supreme Court rulings.
Thomas did disclose her earnings. He did not disclose the speaking fees and perks he got from a bevy of the same conservative groups that his wife worked for and had close political ties to. And then he refused to acknowledge her involvement with Liberty Central.
2 Comments to “Clarence Thomas is one happy guy, now that the Democrats purged Anthony Weiner”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.