Nickolaus: ‘I wouldn’t wish what I went through on anyone’
Waukesha County Clerk speaks for first time since Supreme Court race errorBy Sarah Pryor Freeman Staff
WAUKESHA – On April 7, Waukesha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus had a very bad day. On that day, she realized “with 100-percent certainty” that the Supreme Court race numbers she reported to the press didn’t account for Brookfield’s 14,315 votes, as a result of what Nickolaus called “human error” when she forgot to save after importing the city’s spreadsheet into the election software.
Nickolaus’ announcement of the error and the resulting swing of the race in Justice David Prosser’s favor (challenger JoAnne Kloppenburg had announced victory the day before), sparked a media frenzy rife with accusations of fraud, conspiracy theories and calls for Nickolaus’ resignation.
Kloppenburg conceded the race after a recount that took almost a month and cost taxpayers an estimated $261,000 and rising, but Nickolaus is ready to learn from her mistake and look toward the future.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.