FORWARDING a quick action item from FreePress.net
If you’re like me your first reaction to Apple’s plan to restrict what people can film with their iPhones, was: Another move by Apple to lock up content so they can keep media partners happy and profits expanding.
So what else is new?
Fortunately, a more thoughtful response from FreePress.net arrived the same day and made me think more about what such remote-control censorship over popular communication really means.
I hope it will open up the bigger picture for you, too.
What’s at stake is free expression: Do you decide what you communicate, or do you allow some corporation ( or repressive government) to decide that for you?
FreePress not only frames the problem correctly — they offer a means for effective mass response.
In under a minute you can send an intelligent, forceful protest to the attention of Apple CEO Steve Jobs:
The powerful don’t much care if you privately disapprove of their policies.
They start to care only when you join with many others to denounce those policies publicly, and oppose them with action.
See FreePress action bulletin below.
Thanks for reading.
Apple wants to control the camera on your phone.
The maker of the iPhone wants to patent a sensor that would detect when people are using their phone cameras to do things like film concerts — and give corporations the power to shut them down.1
You think that’s bad? Imagine what would happen if this tool fell into the hands of repressive regimes. Thousands of people across the Middle East have used cellphone cameras to document violent government abuses. This kind of technology would give tyrants the power to stem the flow of videos and crack down on protesters with impunity.
Apple says this new technology was designed to stop concertgoers from taking unofficial video at live events. But you can bet that governments and corporations will take full advantage of it in other more dangerous ways – to silence the voices of protesters, political opponents or anyone else they dislike.
As Apple CEO Steve Jobs obviously knows, smartphones have become extensions of ourselves. They are incredibly powerful tools for communication, education, political expression, community organizing and just plain fun.
Earlier this year, researchers discovered that iPhones recorded your every move for the past year in a hidden but unprotected file.2 The public was outraged, and Apple soon announced that it was updating its software to better protect users.
We must call out against Apple once again. This new camera blocking technology is a pre-emptive strike against free speech. If activated, it would be immensely harmful to our rights to connect and communicate.
Please take action now to urge Steve Jobs to pull the plug on this censorship technology.
1. “Now Apple wants to block iPhone users from filming live events with their smartphone,” Daily Mail, June 16, 2011: http://act2.freepress.net/go/4625?akid=2589.9892560.NT4kYX&t=6
2. “Got an iPhone or 3G iPad? Apple is recording your moves,” O’Reilly Radar, April 20, 2011: http://act2.freepress.net/go/4627?akid=2589.9892560.NT4kYX&t=8
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.