After David Koch Leaves NIH Board, NIH Hands Down Long-Delayed Classification Of Top Koch Pollutant As A Carcinogen
By Lee Fang on Jun 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm
Large manufacturers and chemical producers have lobbied ferociously to stop the National Institutes of Health from classifying formaldehyde as a carcinogen. A wide body of research has linked the chemical to cancer, but industrial polluters have stymied regulators from action.
Last year, the New Yorker’s Jane Mayer reported that billionaire David Koch, whose company Georgia Pacific (a subsidiary of Koch Industries) is one of the country’s top producers of formaldehyde, was appointed to the NIH cancer board at a time when the NIH delayed action on the chemical. The news was met with protests from environmental groups. Faced with mounting pressure from Greenpeace and the scientific community, Koch left offered an early resignation from the board in October.
2 Comments to “After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD’s “black site” is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- New York’s highest court agrees to hear the case against NYU’s lunatic expansion plan
- USA is going all Tonkin Gulf on Russia
- “Christian” school in Texas honors Torturer-in-Chief
- New findings show that charter schools do NOT “perform” as advertised
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- MSNBC will purge its (so-called) "left-wing" hosts
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD's "black site" is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.