After David Koch Leaves NIH Board, NIH Hands Down Long-Delayed Classification Of Top Koch Pollutant As A Carcinogen
By Lee Fang on Jun 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm
Large manufacturers and chemical producers have lobbied ferociously to stop the National Institutes of Health from classifying formaldehyde as a carcinogen. A wide body of research has linked the chemical to cancer, but industrial polluters have stymied regulators from action.
Last year, the New Yorker’s Jane Mayer reported that billionaire David Koch, whose company Georgia Pacific (a subsidiary of Koch Industries) is one of the country’s top producers of formaldehyde, was appointed to the NIH cancer board at a time when the NIH delayed action on the chemical. The news was met with protests from environmental groups. Faced with mounting pressure from Greenpeace and the scientific community, Koch left offered an early resignation from the board in October.
2 Comments to “After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top US “journalists” helped Obama hone his (propaganda) speech on ISIS
- The latest evidence that Scotland VOTED NO
- A more extensive video on the (rigged?) Scottish vote
- Was Scotland’s referendum rigged—and was it caught on tape?
- Why Earth demands this march in New York City: A reply to Arun Gupta
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Clear Channel ends "Green 960" in San Francisco; KKGN's new line-up will include Glenn Beck
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.