From Bertell Ollman in response to the post: The rich don’t “create jobs.” We do.:
Actually, the guy at the Cato Institute is right. The rich, or rather those of them who own businesses, do create jobs, because they make the key decisions on whether to use the surplus wealth that the operating rules of our society leave under their control to invest in this or that, here or there (at home or abroad), under conditions of their choosing, and of course to hire whomever they want and to pay them what they want. This also includes the right to tell the rest of us what it is that most influences them in making these decisions (whether they are being honest or not), but this point is relatively minor, and doesn’t deserve the emphasis given it in this article, “ACTUALLY, THE RICH DON’T CREATE JOBS, WE DO”.
“We” will only be able to create jobs, when the rules of our society are changed to allow us – collectively, democratically – to make all the decisions now made by capitalist owners on how to produce and distribute the wealth of society.
Yes, this is an “old” idea, but it bears repeating, and again, especially now in the current “jobless recovery”.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.