Published on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 by Voice of America
US Extreme Weather Consistent with Climate Change
Scientists say storms likely to become more frequent and intense
by Rosanne Skirble
WASHINGTON — The powerful tornadoes and other extreme weather events that have cut swaths of destruction across the United States over the past month have prompted many to wonder if they are part of a new trend. Are these violent storms the result of climate change, or can they be explained as normal weather variations?
This has been a record year for tornadoes in the United States. North America seems to be especially hard hit.
“We have probably the most tornadoes when you think about the square mileage where we get them,” says David Imy, operations chief at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Storm Prediction Center, “and also the more intense tornadoes and the reasoning happens to be the Rocky Mountains.”
One Comment to “Yes, all this lethal weather—as in Joplin—IS “consistent with climate change””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.