Published on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 by Voice of America
US Extreme Weather Consistent with Climate Change
Scientists say storms likely to become more frequent and intense
by Rosanne Skirble
WASHINGTON — The powerful tornadoes and other extreme weather events that have cut swaths of destruction across the United States over the past month have prompted many to wonder if they are part of a new trend. Are these violent storms the result of climate change, or can they be explained as normal weather variations?
This has been a record year for tornadoes in the United States. North America seems to be especially hard hit.
“We have probably the most tornadoes when you think about the square mileage where we get them,” says David Imy, operations chief at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Storm Prediction Center, “and also the more intense tornadoes and the reasoning happens to be the Rocky Mountains.”
One Comment to “Yes, all this lethal weather—as in Joplin—IS “consistent with climate change””
CONSPIRACY THEORY IN AMERICA
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Vets return to Vietnam, to help clean up the mess they left behind
- Visa quits ALEC
- The stars come out against the Sexton Plan!
- Donors fleeing ALEC over Trayvon Martin’s shooting
- Now you see it, soon you won’t: Welcome to the memory hole
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Robin Roland on Score one (at last) for the Election Integrity movement!
- Julie on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- CIA's contra/cocaine scheme was a REAL conspiracy, not a "theory"
- Visa quits ALEC
- Iceland got over the recession fast—by jailing the banksters, and bailing out the people
- Here are many MORE things NOT to buy from Koch...
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.