Published on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 by Voice of America
US Extreme Weather Consistent with Climate Change
Scientists say storms likely to become more frequent and intense
by Rosanne Skirble
WASHINGTON — The powerful tornadoes and other extreme weather events that have cut swaths of destruction across the United States over the past month have prompted many to wonder if they are part of a new trend. Are these violent storms the result of climate change, or can they be explained as normal weather variations?
This has been a record year for tornadoes in the United States. North America seems to be especially hard hit.
“We have probably the most tornadoes when you think about the square mileage where we get them,” says David Imy, operations chief at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Storm Prediction Center, “and also the more intense tornadoes and the reasoning happens to be the Rocky Mountains.”
One Comment to “Yes, all this lethal weather—as in Joplin—IS “consistent with climate change””
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- EU spy chief sees NO Russian troops in East Ukraine
- NATO moving in on Russia (2 items)
- NYU gave John Sexton’s son a duplex in the Village, despite a “severe housing shortage” for the faculty
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers “2 + 2 = 5!” (3 items)
- Kiev junta orders military to attack pro-Russian protesters (just after CIA’s John Brennan pays a secret visit there), says Yanukovich
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Brian on In California, GMO food labeling law will be on ballots on Election Day!
- NATO moving in on Russia (2 items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers "2 + 2 = 5!" (3 items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- NYU gave John Sexton's son a duplex in the Village, despite a "severe housing shortage" for the faculty
- William Betz
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.