Published on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 by Voice of America
US Extreme Weather Consistent with Climate Change
Scientists say storms likely to become more frequent and intense
by Rosanne Skirble
WASHINGTON — The powerful tornadoes and other extreme weather events that have cut swaths of destruction across the United States over the past month have prompted many to wonder if they are part of a new trend. Are these violent storms the result of climate change, or can they be explained as normal weather variations?
This has been a record year for tornadoes in the United States. North America seems to be especially hard hit.
“We have probably the most tornadoes when you think about the square mileage where we get them,” says David Imy, operations chief at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Storm Prediction Center, “and also the more intense tornadoes and the reasoning happens to be the Rocky Mountains.”
One Comment to “Yes, all this lethal weather—as in Joplin—IS “consistent with climate change””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Why Earth demands this march in New York City: A reply to Arun Gupta
- Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but: How the “People’s Climate March” became a corporate PR
- Join Us! Save Our Parks/Save the Village, Rally and Press Conference Featuring a Performance by the World Famous STOMP
- “Putin’s a Jew”: Guardian reports (yet downplays) Nazi thrust of Kiev’s eastern drive
- Dept. of the Glaringly Obvious: GOP doesn’t want majority to vote because majority would not elect Republicans
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- More questions about those "beheadings"
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Big Pharma's faking a "grass-roots" campaign to keep Jenny McCarthy off "The View"
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- William Betz
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.