Evers calls voucher expansion ‘morally wrong’ in memo
By Karen Herzog of the Journal Sentinel
Updated: May 23, 2011 8:35 p.m.
State Superintendent Tony Evers in a memo Monday urged the Legislature’s Joint Finance Committee to restore funding for public schools and work collaboratively to improve the quality of all Milwaukee schools before considering any voucher expansion.
“To spend hundreds of millions to expand a 20-year-old program that has not improved overall student achievement, while defunding public education, is morally wrong,” Evers said.
Gov. Scott Walker has proposed eliminating income restrictions for participation in the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program, uncapping enrollment in the program and allowing private schools throughout Milwaukee County to accept vouchers from Milwaukee students. Walker also has spoken of expanding the voucher program to other urban areas, such as Racine, Green Bay and Beloit.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Cody Lyon
- The International Human Press
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.