Review of recall petitions going slowly; July 12 election in doubt
Three Democrats’ cases to be put off; board may plead with court for more time
By Don Walker and Patrick Marley of the Journal Sentinel
May 27, 2011
It opens the possibility the board will have to go to court next week seeking more time to complete its work. And that could mean a delay for any recall elections, which were expected to be held July 12.Madison – In an announcement destined to shake up the drive to recall senators from both parties, the Government Accountability Board said Friday that its members would not be able to consider the recall petitions of three Democrats when they meet on Tuesday.
The board said in a statement that petition challenges in the districts of Sens. Alberta Darling (R-River Hills), Jim Holperin (D-Conover), Robert Wirch (D-Pleasant Prairie) and Dave Hansen (D-Green Bay) had raised “numerous factual and legal issues” that warrant further investigation.
“Because of the strong likelihood that any finding of sufficiency or insufficiency by the board will be appealed to a circuit court, it is imperative that the issues raised by these challenges are fully examined, and that a complete record is created for a court to consider,” the accountability board said in its statement.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.