From: Cindy Sage
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:38:11 -0700
Subject: [cheemf] Perspective by Cindy Sage on the IARC 2B Decision for RF
The WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer has just issued
its decision that non-ionizing radiofrequency radiation is classifiable
as a 2B (Possible) Carcinogen. This is the same category as DDT, lead,
and engine exhaust.
Importantly the IARC finding did not decide to classify it as either Group 3
(Insufficient Evidence) or Group 4 (Not a Carcinogen). A possible carcinogen
is really a higher-level finding than it sounds. Since animal toxicity experiments
have rarely been funded, there is just not much evidence to review from animal
studies, which, had they been done, would have likely boosted this
2B classification higher to a 2A (Probable) Carcinogen.
This mirrors the 2001 IARC finding that extremely low frequency (ELF-EMF) that
classified as a 2B (Possible) Carcinogen. This pertained to power frequency (power
line and appliance) non-ionizing radiation.
These two findings confirm that non-ionizing radiation should be considered as a possible
risk factor for cancers; and that new, biologically-based public safety standards are urgently
Smart meters can produce RF exposures in some homes higher than those from PDAs and cell phones in
the manner they are being installed and operated. See our report “Assessment of Radiofrequency
Microwave Radiation Emissions from Smart Meters” (January 2011) at:
Co-Editor, BioInitiative Report
3 Comments to “WHO study of cellphones puts them in the same risk category as DDT, lead and engine exhaust”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.