From Jeremy Hubbell:
I was pleased to see Minnesota looking so good on the income distribution map you sent out a while ago. It helps explain why the insane agenda of the theocratteabaggers has had such a hard, but always MN Nice, slog through the state house here. Still, it looks as though progress is being made, progress helped by the recent elections requiring recounts here.
First, I wanted you to know the latest on the attempt to amend the MN constitution to ban gay marriage. It was ugly from the get-go as Minnesotans, whatever their feelings on the issue, don’t like such brusqueness.
It passed the House and was revving up steam to hit the Senate, but had a looming deadline of THIS MONDAY (May 23) to be approved so as to go on the ballot this fall.
This amendment issue has made things even more unpleasant in a tense budget showdown that has the GOP trying to imitate Scott Walker as much as they can. In polls, voters disapprove of the amendment by 53%.
In a move that I think was a signal to start the drive to alter the public’s feelings, Pastor Bradlee Dean was invited to give the opening prayer before the Senate on Friday (May 20).
Dean is Minnesota’s version of Rev. Fred Phelps:
Check out this video, where you will see and hear Dean recite the myth of the Reconstructionists, suggest that Obama’s not a Christian, and that Jesus is our head of denomination:
Of course, it wasn’t Dean’s strange understanding of the Constitution, history, or even nonsecular “prayer” before the Senate that kicked off the firestorm, but the bit about Jesus being head of things. Upshot is that the marriage amendment will likely not make it out of the Senate this year, though supporters vow they will be back.
In other news, the GOP is preparing a photo ID bill that imitates those passed in Missouri and Mississippi (see
http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/122218509.html). Polls here show 80% support for this. So, if Dayton vetoes it, which he has said he would, then they will try to amend the constitution…
It’s frustrating to watch. I thought you’d like to know.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tens of thousands turning out for Bernie Sanders
- How Donald Trump will raise the profile of the White House
- How the players at the (so-called) Robin Hood Foundation want to make us even poorer
- British Special Forces “dressed up as ISIS rebels” fight Assad in Syria
- Citigroup facing federal probe over student loans
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- More on the NY Fed's strange flight to Chicago
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.