Capitol Report: New residency rules will be in place for recall elections
JESSICA VANEGEREN | The Capital Times
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 11:15 am
Forget about voting in the July 12 recall elections if you move to Wisconsin after June 14.
Under a proof-of-residency provision in the voter ID bill passed this week by the state Legislature, voters will now need to live in the state 28 days before an election — instead of 10 — in order to cast a ballot.
The change is one of many that will take effect immediately after Republican Gov. Scott Walker, a longtime supporter of voter ID, signs the bill into law Wednesday.
Thursday’s passage of the bill in the state Senate was chaotic, with eight Democratic senators refusing to vote and members of the public watching from the Senate balcony shouting “shame, shame,” and “recall,” following the vote.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.