From: “Kristina Powell, Democracy for America”
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 16:39:29 +0000
Subject: Wisconsin update
Wisconsin Republicans know they went too far in their attacks on unions and middle class families — so they’re changing election laws to protect themselves.
With six Republican State Senators facing recall, the right-wing Republican majority forced through a new voter ID law that would disenfranchise students, the poor, and the elderly — all groups who vote Democratic — ahead of this summer’s elections.
This is just another Republican attack in their war on working families. That’s why we’re building a people-powered campaign to beat them. We’re putting staff on the ground to organize volunteers, knock on doors, make phone calls and run radio and TV ads featuring real Wisconsin families.
Their campaign is fueled by big corporate money. But our campaign is fueled by grassroots volunteers and small contributions from thousands of DFA members. We can’t afford to wait any longer to start building our campaign. We need to hit the ground running and we can’t do it without you.
This Republican attack on their constituents’ right to vote is shameful not just because it’s wrong, but also because it’s so blatant.
They’re not only requiring college students to bring a photo ID — they’re requiring them to bring recent tuition receipts if they’re using a college ID.
They’re not only imposing new residency requirements on voters — they’re also not providing any time or money to local offices to educate voters on the new laws.
Republicans are scared — that’s why they’re launching this attack on people’s voting rights. They know that they crossed a line and that they’re in for a tough fight this summer. Please contribute today and help send a clear message to right-wing Republicans in Wisconsin and across the country — attack the middle class and you lose.
Thank you for everything you do.
Kristina Powell, Finance Director
Democracy for America
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.