2.5 Million New Yorkers.
That’s how many of our neighbors are protected by New York’s rent regulation program, which is set to expire less than 30 days from today. The clock is ticking.
These working families – black, white, Latino, Asian, immigrant, elderly, and young – already face far too much uncertainty in this economy, and now they have to worry about being priced out of their homes.
Fortunately, Governor Cuomo understands that “affordable housing is the building block of strong communities and a strong economy.”  He previously served as the housing secretary under President Clinton, and he knows the stakes.
He also knows that in fighting for stronger rent regulations, he’s up against a powerful, entrenched and corrupt force: the Landlord Lobby that has bought and paid for the State Senate.
Please sign our petition to Governor Cuomo, adding your name to the 2.5 million tenants who are counting on him to protect their families:
The head of the landlords association loves nothing more than to brag about his role in delivering the Senate to the Republicans. Anyone remember this line?
“We’re not ashamed of it. We gave and donated and supported all the Republicans. We basically emptied our piggy bank to make sure they capture the Senate… [Republican Leader Dean Skelos] understands clearly that if he doesn’t hurt us or tries to avoid hurting us, we will be there for him next time around, two years from now.” — landlord lobbyist Joe Strasburg 
That’s the kind of blatant greed and corruption that we’re up against. And that’s why we need you to send a message to Governor Cuomo that you’re counting on him to stand strong.
It’s important for us not only to extend current rent protections, but also to enhance them. And we must do so before the June 15th deadline, if we want to remain a city in which middle-class and working-class people can feel economically secure.
Please send a message to Governor Cuomo asking him not to back down:
WFP Executive Director
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Cody Lyon
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.