The Wake-Up Call: House GOP Seeks Big Cuts To FDA, Food Safety Inspectors
First Posted: 05/24/11 12:55 PM ET Updated: 05/24/11 03:17 PM ET
• A House GOP proposal is seeking $285 million in cuts to the Food and Drug Administration, an 11 percent reduction from FY 2011, just as the agency moves to implement an ambitious new food safety law, reports Food Safety News. The proposal would also reduce the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service budget by $35 million. Proponents claim the reduced funding level will not prevent “critical meat, poultry and egg product inspection and testing activities, and supports an expansion of a poultry inspection pilot project that will lead to improving food safety.”
• How to decipher Dodd-Frank’s alphabet soup: Bloomberg Government provides this helpful glossary on everything from “camels” (“Rating given to banks based on capital adequacy, asset quality, management practices, earnings performance, liquidity and sensitivity to market risk”) to “zombie banks” (“A financial institution with negative net worth that continues to operate through federal assistance”).
• AT&T spent $6.8 million in the first quarter of 2011, hiring 71 experts to push through their merger with T-Mobile.
One Comment to “Seeking big cuts in food safety inspection, House GOP’s enough to make you sick”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.