Surprise, Republicans Lied to Us: Private Prisons Don’t Save Money
By Lauren Kelley, AlterNet
Posted on May 20, 2011, Printed on May 21, 2011
In recent months, a number of Republican state leaders have pushed efforts to privatize prisons in the name of saving money for their states. There are already plenty of reasons to be wary of privatized prisons — for instance, they create financial incentives to keep people behind bars. And now we have solid evidence, via the New York Times, that the fiscal argument for privatizing prisons is bunk:
Despite a state law stipulating that private prisons must create “cost savings,” [Arizona’s] own data indicate that inmates in private prisons can cost as much as $1,600 more per year, while many cost about the same as they do in state-run prisons.
The research, by the Arizona Department of Corrections, also reveals a murky aspect of private prisons that helps them appear less expensive: They often house only relatively healthy inmates.
One Comment to “Private prisons don’t save money”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.