Americans Favor Budget Cuts Over Raising Corporate Tax
By MARJORIE CONNELLY
Published: May 2, 2011
While most Americans say corporations do not pay their fair share in taxes, they still prefer cuts in government spending to increasing taxes on corporations as a means of cutting the federal budget deficit, according to a recent New York Times/CBS News poll.
But when given a choice between raising taxes on corporations and raising taxes on households that make more than $250,000 a year, almost two-thirds of respondents opt for taxing businesses.
There is a strong partisan divide: A majority of Republicans and independents favor cutting government spending over raising taxes on businesses, while Democrats are evenly divided. Democrats strongly support increasing corporate taxes rather than adding to the taxes of affluent households; Republicans and independents are closely divided.
One Comment to “Most Americans, suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, favor budget cuts over raising corporate taxes”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.