Just 206 Votes Separate Democratic CA Sec. of State from Republican Candidate in Bid for Spot in Run-Off to Replace Rep. Jane Harman in CA’s 36th
Narrow margin, 10,000 still-to-be-tallied absentee ballots to test L.A. County’s Bowen-approved op-scan system, again…
By Brad Friedman on 5/18/2011 1:33pm
Yesterday, California’s Republican-supported Prop 14 — which voters approved last June, changing the state’s separate party primary system to a single primary for all candidates, with the top two vote-getters going on to a run-off election if none receives more than 50% of the vote — had its first official try-out in the Special Election to replace the resigning Blue Dog Democrat and unrepentant war supporter Rep. Jane Harman in the state’s 36th Congressional District.
While similarly “Blue Dog” Democratic candidate and L.A. City Councilwoman Janice Hahn was in the lead last night as results were reported throughout the evening, it was the battle for second place, and therefore the right to participate in the run-off, that presented a real late-night nail-biter twist as unofficial precinct results were completed in the wee hours.
With Democratic CA Sec. of State Debra Bowen running second and seemingly headed for the run-off with Hahn for most of the night, according to L.A. County’s running totals, the final unverified results inched self-financed Republican Craig Huey into the second place spot by just 206 votes at evening’s end, after all 261 precincts in the very Democratic-leaning CA-36 were tallied.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.