From Mark Karlin:
I think this Times article avoids the point of what the GOP is trying to do with these new laws, which isn’t just “to tighten voting rules” but to disenfranchise everyone who stands against them. The headline should have been: “Republican Legislators Try to Keep Fewer Non-GOP Supporters From Voting,” and Livette Alvarez should have told that story.
As you of all people know, this is no new issue. It was the critical issue in Bush stealing the Florida election due to the caging Greg Palast has detailed over and over again. And the GOP has kept on doing it ever since.
Back when they did real investigative journalism on high-level political corruption, the Times would have run a major exposé–it would have to be a series–on the entire GOP assault on voting rights: not just state legislation, but everything from trying to block the census to the use of computerized machinery run by private companies.
This is just another ho-hum story that doesn’t even start to rise to the importance of the issue at hand.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.