Ignoring Trump’s Record of Racism
Fair and Accurary in Reporting (FAIR0
May 6, 2011
Donald Trump’s efforts to delegitimize Barack Obama by
suggesting he’s not a native-born citizen, and
questioning his qualifications for admissions to
Columbia University and Harvard Law School, have drawn
fire from prominent media figures like MSNBC host
Lawrence O’Donnell (FAIR Blog, 4/29/11), CBS News
anchor Bob Schieffer (CBS Evening News, 4/27/11) and
even David Letterman (Late Show, 4/28/11), who have
pointed out the racism implicit in Trump’s smears.
But few corporate journalists have so far put Trump’s
anti-Obama efforts in the context of earlier racist
episodes in the real estate developer’s career–a
history that sheds light on the potential presidential
candidate’s recent hamfisted claim: “I have a great
relationship with the blacks. I’ve always had a great
relationship with the blacks.” (As Washington Post
columnist Eugene Robinson–4/19/11–observed regarding
Trump’s awkward boast: “Yes, he said ‘the blacks.’
Salon’s Justin Elliot (4/28/11) traced Trump’s racism
back to the 1970s, when the Justice Department
repeatedly alleged racial discrimination by Trump
Management Company, where Trump served as president.
According to a New York Times report (10/16/73) about
the federal case:
The government contended that Trump Management had
refused to rent or negotiate rentals “because of race
and color.” It also charged that the company had
required different rental terms and conditions because
of race and that it had misrepresented to blacks that
apartments were not available.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Matters
- Early America
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.