Sent: 4/28/2011 11:12:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: The Republican Threat to Voting (4/26/11)
To The Editor:
“The Republican Threat to Voting” (Editorial, April 26, 2011) lays out the lengths to which Republicans are now going to prevent voters from casting a ballot, with the not-even-thinly-veiled goal of altering election outcomes in their favor.
Is it really so unimaginable that, somewhere among this small army of anti-democratic cynics, there might lurk a few uber-cynics who would be willing to take it a step further and manipulate votes where they are now tallied in the pitch darkness of cyberspace? Study after study, from Princeton to the GAO, attests to the vulnerability of our vote-counting computers to precisely such manipulation. Can America continue to place its trust and its fate in the voluntary abstinence of ends-justify-the-means true-believers and cynics?
Votes were meant to be cast in secret not counted in secret. A return to counting by humans in public, a civic obligation far less onerous than jury duty, is what our democracy demands from us as citizens, even in this age of hi-tech, speed, and convenience.
Jonathan D. Simon
Executive Director, Election Defense Alliance
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Words of Power
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.