Here’s a brain-teaser: Rasmussen, the conservative polling firm, has found that “53% of Likely U.S. Voters think most members of Congress get reelected because election rules are rigged to benefit incumbents.” Which is to say—as Rasmussen’s headline puts it more succinctly—that “53% Say Elections Are Rigged To Help Incumbents in Congress.”
But here’s the opening sentence of the item:
“Voters are still wary of the congressional election process but just over half believe elections are fair to voters.”
That would seem to be based on the following finding, noted further down:
“The number of voters who believe the election process is fair also continues to hover around the halfway mark. Just 54% of voters now think that American elections are fair to voters.”
Either Rasmussen fails to see the contradiction there, or they don’t have a problem with statistics that add up to, like, 107% of “Likely U.S. Voters.”
Probably both things are true, since (1) the fact that US “elections are rigged” (in one way or another) is taboo—and so it’s inconceivable that a majority of voters could believe it; and (2) the numbers in US elections never actually add up, so there’s no reason why Rasmussen’s should, either.
Are Our Elections Rigged? Rasmussen Poll
by EDITOR REPOSTS
53% Say Elections Are Rigged To Help Incumbents in Congress
Thursday, May 12, 2011
Voters are still wary of the congressional election process but just over half believe elections are fair to voters.
A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 53% of Likely U.S. Voters think most members of Congress get reelected because election rules are rigged to benefit incumbents. Only 17% believe most congressmen get reelected because of the good job they do representing their constituents. A sizable 30% aren’t sure which is the case. (To see survey question wording, click here.)
These findings have changed little over the past two years, highlighting voters’ continuing distrust of the process. After all, the word “rigged” is a strong term to include in a survey question, and yet half the nation’s voters believe it applies to election rules for members of Congress.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.