Students Protest UW-Madison Split At Bascom Hall
Protesters Hold Sit-In At Bascom Hall
Updated: 9:12 pm CDT April 26, 2011
MADISON, Wis. — University of Wisconsin-Madison students and campus community members are engaging in a sit-in at Bascom Hall to protest the idea of splitting UW-Madison from the rest of the UW System.
Chanting the words “our house,” protesters entered Bascom Hall Tuesday afternoon to hold a sit-in outside Chancellor Biddy Martin’s office.
Martin has been pushing her plan for the New Badger Partnership, which would spin off UW-Madison from the rest of the UW System.
Gov. Scott Walker included the split in his budget proposal. Under his proposal, UW-Madison would have its own board of trustees and have more leeway on purchasing, construction, money management and tuition.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.