Tell Sens. Schumer and Gillibrand: Block Boehner’s $300 million pet project
Clicking here will automatically add your name to this petition to Sens. Schumer and Gillibrand:
As John Boehner leads Republicans in slashing funding for the Clean Air Act, Planned Parenthood, public broadcasting and other vital programs, only one bill is so important to the Speaker that he attached his own name to it and pushed it through the House.
Speaker Boehner’s pet project? More than $300 million spent on just 1,700 private school students enrolled in the District of Columbia’s decaying voucher program.
While our legislators are engaged in critical debates on fixing our economy and getting Americans back to work, it’s outrageous that Speaker Boehner’s top priority is subsidizing a handful of private schools in Washington, D.C. – wasting critical dollars that could go towards our public schools. And because most of the private schools that would benefit are religious, this is also a clear back door attempt to publicly finance faith-based education.
Boehner’s initiative has been tried before – and failed. Washington, D.C.’s voucher program is currently in the process of being phased out, after a three-year analysis released in 2009 by the U.S. Department of Education found the program to be ineffective.
Yet it’s incredibly clear why Republicans would rally around this expensive and failed voucher program. Americans need to look no further than the outrageous rightwing attacks on public education, like Governor Scott Walker’s brutal assault on Wisconsin teachers, to understand how Republicans really feel about public schools.
But attacking public education is not the sole objective of Boehner’s legislation. As someone who benefited personally from private Catholic schooling, he’s committed to making this voucher program work in Washington, D.C. – no matter the cost.
Republican Rep. John Kline of Minnesota went so far as to issue a warning to President Obama and Democrats who would oppose this outrageous abuse of funds, saying “This is very, very important to him [Boehner], so the White House would be wise to take that under consideration.”1
Boehner’s incredibly expensive pet project is bad for taxpayers and bad for students. We can’t let him get away with this.
Mark Anthony Dingbaum, Campaign Manager
1. “House Speaker Boehner promotes funding for D.C. school choice program,” Ben Pershing and Paul Kane, Washington Post, 03-15-2011.
One Comment to “Stop Boehner’s plan to Christianize the DC schools!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.