I just reviewed the items I sent out and posted at the time, and found that, sure enough, one came from the sort of far-right source nailed by Mark Ames and Yasha Levine on AlterNet. (We took it down.) They’ve done us all a major democratic service by explaining how the right exploited that hot issue as a way to keep TSA workers from unionizing.
The other items on NFU—including one from the ACLU, one from the Guardian’s Jennifer Abel, and the appalling video of the mistreatment of breast-feeding mom Stacey Armato—all make necessary points against the invasive manhandling of air travellers, which is a feature not of “government” per se but of this government’s repressive “war on terror,” denial of a fair wage and proper training (i.e., union rights) to TSA employees, and, last but not least, Michael Chertoff’s opportunism and greed.
(Those dubious full-body scanners are his baby:
- http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/129651-gop-lawmaker-full-body-scanners-violate-fourth-amendment )
In any case, it’s always good to be reminded that smart propagandists know how to turn legitimate mass outrage to their own advantage.
Media Fell for Right-Wing PR in Orchestrated Outrage Against TSA Workers Who Were Seeking Union Rights
Published on AlterNet on April 28th, journalists Mark Ames and Yasha Levine provide a detailed, blow-by-blow deconstruction of how the right-wing spin machine was able to focus enormous media attention on the TSA, effectively scapegoating the 50,000 TSA workers who were simply following orders from their superiors. The media, as well as conservatives and liberals, got sucked into the hype.
The propaganda began with the Drudge Report’s hysterical portrayal of John Tyner, who refused a pat-down, telling TSA agents last November, “You touch my junk and I’m going to have you arrested.” There were waves of right wing PR, many by individuals and groups for whom civil liberties were never a priority. Included in the array of anti-TSA campaigns was an “alliance of rabid Christian homophobes and neo-Confederates, warmongering neocons and notorious anti-union lobbying outfits, and even a few blasts-from-the-right-wing-past, like the Rutherford Institute’s John Whitehead, a onetime Christian ‘reconstructionist’ who all but disappeared after running Paula Jones’ sexual-harassment lawsuit against Bill Clinton in the 1990s. Whitehead, whose outfit once advocated the death penalty for homosexuals, recently re-emerged in the public eye, leading several high-profile lawsuits against the TSA.
The giant hype reached its hot-air filled moment when the media expected chaos and protests at the airports as travelers were headed out for their Thanksgiving weekends with their families. But what happened? Nothing. The hot air all came out of the hype, and with it the evidence was there to show that the media and the spectators had all been taken for another ride… but no one has reported it, until now.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.