Many people think that Instant Runoff Voting (IRV) would do a lot to weaken the two parties’ death-grip on our pseudo-democratic system.
But IRV requires computerized voting systems, and would therefore only strengthen that death-grip, since it would make hand-counting paper ballots virtually impossible, as Rebecca Mercuri explains below.
Hawaii’s Instant Runoff Legislation — Veto Needed
by Rebecca Mercuri, Ph.D.
In the aftermath of the controversial 2000 Presidential Election, the
Help America Vote Act was enacted, which (among other initiatives)
provided funds for the procurement of new voting systems.
Many states rushed out to buy electronic voting equipment that afforded
no way to perform an independent recount from ballots that the voters
themselves had validated for correctness. Instead, Hawai’i did the right
thing by evaluating the pros and cons of the available products,
ultimately settling on a largely paper-based system. This enables votes
to easily and simply be counted, using the traditional 1+1=2 method, if
the computer tallies are questioned or a manual recount becomes necessary.
Unfortunately, this will not continue to be the case if Governor
Abercrombie fails to veto H.B. 638 which has recently passed both the
Hawai’i House and Senate. This dangerous bill came to the floor without
ample opportunity for opposition testimony. It allows for the
introduction of a technique known as Instant Runoff Voting (IRV), which
is confusing to voters and makes hand-counting virtually impossible,
thus increasing the state’s reliance on proprietary and unexaminable
computer software for generating its election results.
One Comment to “Hawaii gov must VETO bill that would make hand-counting ballots near-impossible!”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kiev junta orders military to attack pro-Russian protesters (just after CIA’s John Brennan pays a secret visit there), says Yanukovich
- Holocaust memorial in Odessa (Ukraine) vandalized with swastikas
- Hillary loves Boeing, just like Bush/Cheney did
- URGENT: Tell the mayor to save our parks from the developers–including NYU!
- 73% turnout for Crimea referendum, but EU calls the vote “illegal, illegitimate”
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Brian on In California, GMO food labeling law will be on ballots on Election Day!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Obama didn't prosecute Bush/Cheney out of fear he'd end up like Paul Wellstone
- Where the money goes at NYU
- US forced Iraqis to buy seeds from Monsanto—and now we're ALL under the gun! (2)
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.