Many people think that Instant Runoff Voting (IRV) would do a lot to weaken the two parties’ death-grip on our pseudo-democratic system.
But IRV requires computerized voting systems, and would therefore only strengthen that death-grip, since it would make hand-counting paper ballots virtually impossible, as Rebecca Mercuri explains below.
Hawaii’s Instant Runoff Legislation — Veto Needed
by Rebecca Mercuri, Ph.D.
In the aftermath of the controversial 2000 Presidential Election, the
Help America Vote Act was enacted, which (among other initiatives)
provided funds for the procurement of new voting systems.
Many states rushed out to buy electronic voting equipment that afforded
no way to perform an independent recount from ballots that the voters
themselves had validated for correctness. Instead, Hawai’i did the right
thing by evaluating the pros and cons of the available products,
ultimately settling on a largely paper-based system. This enables votes
to easily and simply be counted, using the traditional 1+1=2 method, if
the computer tallies are questioned or a manual recount becomes necessary.
Unfortunately, this will not continue to be the case if Governor
Abercrombie fails to veto H.B. 638 which has recently passed both the
Hawai’i House and Senate. This dangerous bill came to the floor without
ample opportunity for opposition testimony. It allows for the
introduction of a technique known as Instant Runoff Voting (IRV), which
is confusing to voters and makes hand-counting virtually impossible,
thus increasing the state’s reliance on proprietary and unexaminable
computer software for generating its election results.
One Comment to “Hawaii gov must VETO bill that would make hand-counting ballots near-impossible!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.