Many people think that Instant Runoff Voting (IRV) would do a lot to weaken the two parties’ death-grip on our pseudo-democratic system.
But IRV requires computerized voting systems, and would therefore only strengthen that death-grip, since it would make hand-counting paper ballots virtually impossible, as Rebecca Mercuri explains below.
Hawaii’s Instant Runoff Legislation — Veto Needed
by Rebecca Mercuri, Ph.D.
In the aftermath of the controversial 2000 Presidential Election, the
Help America Vote Act was enacted, which (among other initiatives)
provided funds for the procurement of new voting systems.
Many states rushed out to buy electronic voting equipment that afforded
no way to perform an independent recount from ballots that the voters
themselves had validated for correctness. Instead, Hawai’i did the right
thing by evaluating the pros and cons of the available products,
ultimately settling on a largely paper-based system. This enables votes
to easily and simply be counted, using the traditional 1+1=2 method, if
the computer tallies are questioned or a manual recount becomes necessary.
Unfortunately, this will not continue to be the case if Governor
Abercrombie fails to veto H.B. 638 which has recently passed both the
Hawai’i House and Senate. This dangerous bill came to the floor without
ample opportunity for opposition testimony. It allows for the
introduction of a technique known as Instant Runoff Voting (IRV), which
is confusing to voters and makes hand-counting virtually impossible,
thus increasing the state’s reliance on proprietary and unexaminable
computer software for generating its election results.
One Comment to “Hawaii gov must VETO bill that would make hand-counting ballots near-impossible!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- “No comparison can be made” between 9/11 and CIA torture, says Dick Cheney (and he would know!)
- Nailed by all-white jury for “election fraud,” Rev. Edward Pinckney faces life in prison
- Is that President Obama’s CIA, or the CIA’s President Obama?
- Rudy Giuliani uses Eric Garner’s death to bash the Teachers Union
- Bush/Cheney convicted of war crimes in absentia
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- "No comparison can be made" between 9/11 and CIA torture, says Dick Cheney (and he would know!)
- Is that President Obama's CIA, or the CIA's President Obama?
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.