That’s bad stuff, alright–and no surprise, since everyone who’s paid attention knows that Bush & Co. did all they could to black out medical and scientific info that they deemed ungodly.
But that was then. So what’s up now? How much government largesse is still spent on, say,
abstinence-based education in our public schools?
Can’t hurt to ask, since this president expanded the Office of Faith-Based Initiatives, has turned a blind eye to the blight of Christianist extremism inside the US military, and otherwise continues Bush’s policy of melding church and state. And if it sucked when BushCo did it, it still sucks now that ObamaCo’s still doing it,
Ex-Surgeon General Says White House Hushed Him
By Christopher Lee
Former surgeon general Richard H. Carmona yesterday accused the Bush administration of muzzling him on sensitive public health issues, becoming the most prominent voice among several current and former federal science officials who have complained of political interference.
Carmona, a Bush nominee who served from 2002 to 2006, told the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform that political appointees in the administration routinely scrubbed his speeches for politically sensitive content and blocked him from speaking out on public health matters such as stem cell research, abstinence-only sex education and the emergency contraceptive Plan B.
“Anything that doesn’t fit into the political appointees’ ideological, theological or political agenda is often ignored, marginalized or simply buried,” he said. “The problem with this approach is that in public health, as in a democracy, there is nothing worse than ignoring science or marginalizing the voice of science for reasons driven by changing political winds.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.