On Friday, April 15, the government of Benton Harbor got the axe.
The New York Times has yet to mention it.
Corporate Coup d’état Coming Soon to a City Near You
by Rania Khalek
In her book The Shock Doctrine, Naomi Klein demonstrates
how wealthy elites often use times of crisis and chaos to
impose unpopular policies that restructure economies and
political systems to further advance their interests. She
calls these orchestrated raids on the public sphere in the
wake of catastrophic events, combined with the treatment
of disasters as exciting market opportunities, “disaster
Disaster capitalism is on display around the country, as
legislators use the debt crisis afflicting their states as
an opportunity to hollow out the public sector. In
Michigan it’s being packaged as “emergency financial
management” by Republican Gov. Rick Snyder, who is looking
to exploit an economic crisis that has left his state with
a severe budget deficit. In March, Snyder signed a law
granting state-appointed emergency financial managers
(EFM) the ability to fire local elected officials, break
teachers’ and public workers’ contracts, seize and sell
assets, and eliminate services, entire cities or school
districts, all without any public input. He claims these
dictatorial restructuring powers will keep Michigan
communities out of bankruptcy.
Michigan currently has unelected EFM’s in charge of the
schools in Detroit, as well as the cities of Pontiac,
Ecorse, and Benton Harbor. In Benton Harbor, the city’s
elected mayor and city commissioners were stripped of all
power by unelected EFM, Joseph Harris. Harris issued an
order saying the city commissioners have no power beyond
calling meetings to order, approving minutes, and
adjourning meetings. This decimation of local democracy
is spreading. Robert Bobb, the EFM that has taken over
Detroit’s public school system, sent layoff notices to all
of the district’s 5,466 unionized employees. Bobb says he
will exercise his power as EFM to unilaterally modify the
district’s collective bargaining agreement with the
Federation of Teachers starting May 17, 2011.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.