Guantanamo Detainee Files Hint at Psychological Research
Monday 25 April 2011
by: Jeffrey Kaye, Truthout
The release by WikiLeaks of the secret assessments of hundreds of detainees by the Joint Interrogation Force at Guantanamo, spanning the period 2002 to 2009, provide little in the way of evidence of the torture and abuse suffered by the supposed “enemy combatants.” While retelling the many pieces of gossip, informant’s tales and evidence of torture that are mixed in with any hard evidence of terrorist ties, the reports indicate in a number of instances “areas of potential exploitation” that go beyond that of mere intelligence gathering.
The listing of such “areas” appears to be limited to reports originating in 2006 and later.
Even when the aim of the “exploitation” areas are ostensibly related to intelligence gathering, they often seek further information on al-Qaeda-related matters or individuals even after detainees have denied any connections to al-Qaeda or other extremist groups, or have recanted such ties as were announced originally under tortured duress. It often appears the government is continuing to hold prisoners, if not torture them, until the prisoner gives them the story they want to hear.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.