This is what happens when you live in a “democracy” that really isn’t one.
On the one hand, the Repubs feel themselves (as AP notes below) “emboldened by last fall’s election victories,” even though there’s evidence that those “election victories” were bogus (and, of course, no evidence that they were real, other than the say-so of the companies that make and manage the machinery).
Certainly there’s not a shred of evidence that those rampaging “fiscal conservatives” have, or ever had, widespread popular support. All studies make quite clear, in fact, that most Americans, on issue after issue, are progressive, even if they don’t regard themselves as “liberals.” So how come those Tea-Baggers run the House (and states such as Wisconsin, Maine and Pennsylvania)?
That’s one question vis-a-vis our fake “democracy.” But there’s another, too–and it concerns the Democrats: How did those Tea-Baggers win the “first round of [the] budget battle” when (to quote AP again) “Democrats control the Senate and White House”?
As far as the White House is concerned, this too is a matter of election fraud; but it’s a kind of fraud quite different from the vote suppression and e-tampering that have “won” the GOP so many races. Obama’s victory was fraudulent, not because he didn’t win more votes than John McCain (indeed, he probably won millions more than we’ve been led to think). Rather, Obama’s victory was fraudulent in that he ran as sort of liberal, when he’s actually right-wing.
Those millions voting for Obama (or trying to vote for him) had no idea that they were voting for three US wars, “free trade,” Bush/Cheney’s tax cuts, indefinite detention, Bush/Cheney’s US Attorneys, Monsanto, the state secrets privilege, BP, private health insurance, the end of net neutrality, more nuclear power plants, No Child Left Behind, prosecution of whistle-blowers, no CIA oversight, an expansion of the Office of Faith-Based Initiatives and GE’s Jeffrey Immelt as the White House Chief of Staff–just to name a few. While there are some cosmetic differences between Obama and Bush II (primarily on social issues like abstinence-only sex ed, reproductive freedom and gays in the military), this president is basically Bush III–even though he got elected by pretending to be not like Bush at all.
So that’s how We the People ended up where we are now, saddled with, and ripped off by, a government we didn’t vote for, regardless of which party has the upper hand (although, obviously, it will never be the Democrats).
Analysis: GOP won first round of budget battle
By CHARLES BABINGTON, Associated Press
WASHINGTON – Republican conservatives were the chief winners in the budget deal that forced Democrats to accept historic spending cuts they strongly opposed.
Emboldened by last fall’s election victories, fiscal conservatives have changed the debate in Washington. The question no longer is whether to cut spending, but how deeply. Rarely mentioned is the idea of higher taxes to lower the deficit.
Their success is all the more notable because Democrats control the Senate and White House.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.