There’s no sitting this one out.
Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1%
By Joseph E. Stiglitz
It’s no use pretending that what has obviously happened has not in fact happened. The upper 1 percent of Americans are now taking in nearly a quarter of the nation’s income every year. In terms of wealth rather than income, the top 1 percent control 40 percent. Their lot in life has improved considerably. Twenty-five years ago, the corresponding figures were 12 percent and 33 percent. One response might be to celebrate the ingenuity and drive that brought good fortune to these people, and to contend that a rising tide lifts all boats. That response would be misguided. While the top 1 percent have seen their incomes rise 18 percent over the past decade, those in the middle have actually seen their incomes fall. For men with only high-school degrees, the decline has been precipitous-12 percent in the last quarter-century alone. All the growth in recent decades-and more-has gone to those at the top. In terms of income equality, America lags
behind any country in the old, ossified Europe that President George W. Bush used to deride.
Among our closest counterparts are Russia with its oligarchs and Iran. While many of the old centers of inequality in Latin America, such as Brazil, have been striving in recent years, rather successfully, to improve the plight of the poor and reduce gaps in income, America has allowed inequality to grow.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- More on the NY Fed’s strange flight to Chicago
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What’s up?
- Commanders of Missouri National Guard saw protesters in Ferguson as “enemy forces,” “adversaries,” “hate groups”
- Abu Dhabi on the Hudson: NYU goes after student protesters for trying to hand out flyers
- Virginia dumps its e-vote system after finding it ridiculously hackable
- FBI charged with “whitewash” of Saudi link to 9/11 on
- TEPCO slammed for year-long cover-up of latest radioactive leak on
- If Jeb Bush steals the White House, he’ll cut Medicaid, raise the retirement age, means test Social Security, and…. on
- Don Siegelman won’t be released from prison (WHY won’t Obama pardon him?) on
- Democrats won’t say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein—and neither will Republicans! (How come?) on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Why NYU law students have no confidence in Harold Koh (It isn't just the drones...)
- For their Statement of No Confidence in drone war consigliere Harold Koh, NYU law students feel the heat from their professors
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.