Walker’s Budget Defunds Planned Parenthood, Targets Contraception Access
by Amanda Terkel
WASHINGTON — While Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) continues to wait out the state’s
Senate Democrats on his budget bill that would strip collective bargaining rights from public employee unions, a growing number of Wisconsin’s abortion-rights advocates worry that they have become his next target.
In 2009, Wisconsin passed a “contraceptive equity” law that requires health insurance plans in the state that cover prescription drugs to include contraceptives. Proponents argued that the measure was necessary to ensure that commercial health providers — who cover approximately one-third of the state’s residents — don’t discriminate against women. “Contraceptive Equity is about fairness, preventing gender discrimination, and access to basic health care,” reads a statement on the website for Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin.
One Comment to “Walker’s budget cuts Planned Parenthood, targets contraception centers”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- History Unfolding
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.