Walker’s Budget Defunds Planned Parenthood, Targets Contraception Access
by Amanda Terkel
WASHINGTON — While Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) continues to wait out the state’s
Senate Democrats on his budget bill that would strip collective bargaining rights from public employee unions, a growing number of Wisconsin’s abortion-rights advocates worry that they have become his next target.
In 2009, Wisconsin passed a “contraceptive equity” law that requires health insurance plans in the state that cover prescription drugs to include contraceptives. Proponents argued that the measure was necessary to ensure that commercial health providers — who cover approximately one-third of the state’s residents — don’t discriminate against women. “Contraceptive Equity is about fairness, preventing gender discrimination, and access to basic health care,” reads a statement on the website for Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin.
One Comment to “Walker’s budget cuts Planned Parenthood, targets contraception centers”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.