Tim DeChristopher Deserves the Medal of Freedom Today, Not a Prison Sentence
When President Obama conferred the National Medal of Arts and the National Humanities Medal on several
American heroes yesterday, including Kentucky poet Wendell Berry, he forgot one last award: The Medal of
Freedom to Tim DeChristopher.
Instead of being convicted today on two felony accounts for placing bids and disrupting an auction for pristine wilderness Utah sites that would have been opened to gas and oil exploration, 27-year-old Tim DeChristopher should have been receiving our nation’s highest honor for “an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States.”
In truth, according to DeChristopher supporters, the leases auctioned to DeChristopher were later overturned
by the Obama administration on the grounds that the George W. Bush administration’s Bureau of Land
Management had failed to complete the analysis required by federal law for the “protection of national and
As climate crime continues, who are we sending to jail?
By Bill McKibben
Let’s consider for a moment the targets the federal
government chooses to make an example of. So far, no
bankers have been charged, despite the unmitigated
greed that nearly brought the world economy down. No
coal or oil execs have been charged, despite fouling
the entire atmosphere and putting civilization as we
know it at risk.
But engage in creative protest that mildly disrupts the
efficient sell-off of our landscape to oil and gas
barons? As Tim DeChristopher found out on Thursday,
that’ll get you not just a week in court, but
potentially a long stretch in the pen.
Tim is a hero not because he knew what he was getting
into. As his testimony made clear this week, he had no
idea at all; his decision to become Bidder No. 70 was
about as spontaneous an action as we’ve ever seen.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.