Wisconsin Updates: Historic Recall Efforts; How Republicans Have Been Sneaking Out of Capitol
Posted on March 9, 2011, Printed on March 11, 2011
Late Wednesday, Wisconsin Republicans rammed a measure through the Senate stripping collective bargaining rights from most public workers in the state. Although the 14 Democrats who fled the state to block Governor Walker’s union-busting bill remain in Illinois, Republicans were able to push through the measure anyway by separating the collective bargaining provision from the other elements of Governor Scott Walker’s “budget repair bill.” (This, after claiming for months that killing public workers’ right to negotiate was all about reining in the state’s debt.) The measure passed 18-1, with Republican Sen. Dale Schultz voting against. Critics say the rushed legislative session — with only one Democrat in attendance — may have violated the state’s open meetings law. Democratic Senators from the street (the “fourteen”) are beginning to trickle back home and start the next round of the fight.
So what’s next? AlterNet has the latest updates and analysis:
Update: How Republicans have been making their getaway:
“Amid unprecedented protests, Republican lawmakers have at times been escorted by officers out of the Capitol through a tunnel – and in one case this week were given their own bus to get away from demonstrators.
Shortly after abruptly voting to sharply curtail collective bargaining for public employees, senators boarded a Madison city bus and Capitol Police Chief Charles Tubbs stationed himself near the driver to tell him where to go, according to video from the bus released Friday.
2 Comments to “Repubs sneaking out of Capitol, and other updates from Wisconsin”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.